This is to inform you that we are changing the arrangements in The Hub, our Internal Exclusion Unit. As a school we believe that the safety of our students is paramount and as such, believe that keeping young people in school is the best way to ensure they are kept safe and support their continued progress.
To support this philosophy, from Wednesday 15th April there will be new arrangements in The Hub. We will be supporting improving student behaviour through members of the Senior Leadership Team assisting Guidance Leaders to run The Hub during the school day.
There are changes to the school day for those that are internally excluded in The Hub and the expectations are:
- Students should arrive at school for 9am (not earlier), where they must wait in reception until they are collected. They will finish school at 1.00pm.
- If he/she has free school meals, then a member of the guidance team will collect food for them from the canteen. Where possible we will aim to provide a hot meal, however it may be a cold choice for internally excluded pupils and food will be collected at break-time only. If your child would like something extra to eat at break time, they will need to bring this in with them.
- Students should bring a bottle of water to school which he/she will be permitted to have during the internal exclusion. However, water will be provided if required.
- All mobile phones, electronic equipment and bags will need to be handed in to staff from the outset and will be placed away from students during the entire internal exclusion period. Students will have the opportunity to retrieve lunch or school equipment from their bags during the break times only. Bags, mobile phones and electronic equipment will be returned to pupils at the end of their school day.
- Students will be expected to work in silence whilst in internal exclusion. They will be provided with comprehensive learning and will have access to laptops and headphones for learning resources that are IT based. They will be expected to complete work set and follow the instructions of staff who are running the internal exclusion.
- Failure to comply with the internal exclusion procedures will result in further sanctions and may result in an exclusion from school.
If you have any queries regarding these new arrangements please do not hesitate to contact me.
Ms B. Greenhalgh
Acting Deputy Headteacher